This is the opening salvo of what I hope to be many, many opportunities to share the joys of a life with VW Westfalia vans. Topics will include some of our adventures around BC in addition to restoration tips and trips.
As our first topic, it seems only fitting to let you know we are open for business! The process hasn’t been smooth and it hasn’t been simple but, with a little perseverance and a lot of help from friends and family, we are up and running. If you have ever had any experience with entrepreneurship, you will know what a thrill it can be!
Many people ask me why I decided to start a company that is so different from what I used to do (brief bio here, longer bio here) and all I can say is that it seemed like the right thing to do. Since coming to British Columbia as a city slicker over 20 years ago, I have fallen in love with the majesty that is the great outdoors. As I pondered what I wanted to do when I grew up (last year, BTW), it occurred to me that it would be wonderful to help others get to know BC. And Wicked Westies was born!
But why start it on Burke Mountain in Coquitlam, BC? It isn’t exactly a tourist mecca, after all. We thought Coquitlam would make the perfect home base for the Wicked Westies World Empire for a number of reasons:
- It is 45 mins from the Horseshoe Bay or Tsawassen ferry terminals. The ferries will whisk you off to Vancouver Island.
- We are 2 hours from Whistler. If you’ve never been to Whistler, you have to go. Biking and hiking in the summer, epic skiing in the winter.
- We are 30 mins from theCanada/US border. Washington State and points South are within easy range.
- We are 3 hours from the Okanagan region of BC where you can enjoy wine and endless sunshine.
- Vancouver International Airport is only 45 mins away. If you are travelling from outside of Canada, this will be where you land.
Come to think of it, it is no small exaggeration to say we really have positioned ourselves at the gateway to the tourism world! 🙂
I hope you get the opportunity to come and visit.
Yours in Wickedness,